Book: Gary Michael Tartakov, ed., Dalit Art and Visual Imagery
Dalit Art and Visual Imagery 
Edited by Gary Michael Tartakov
Oxford University Press
This volume creates a seamless narrative of Dalit identity through use of visuals and accompanying explanatory texts. Spanning the historical and contemporary period, the volume investigates the representation of Dalit identities in Buddhist imagery, Hindu temples and traditional caste system, popular art and painting, and state-sponsored architecture and sculpture.
Raising the face of contemporary untouchability into view, it explores the uses of visual imagery by, for and against Dalits in Indian society. Where are the images of Dalit oppression in the Hindu temple or Dalit triumph in the Navayana Buddhist viharas? How have Dalits used images of B.R. Ambedkar to bring their reality before the nation? How are Dalits attempting to use visual imagery to describe the world around them, work out their own identities and to shape their destinies? The collection offers a variety of approaches to the study of visual imagery and issues of Dalit experience.
This book will be of considerable interest to scholars and students of Dalit studies, sociology, modern Indian history, and religion (particularly Buddhism) and others concerned with caste politics.
171 illus.; 9.7 x 7.1; ISBN13: 978-0-19-807936-1ISBN10: 0-19-807936-2
Table of Contents
1. Art and Identity: The Rise of a New Buddhist Imagery , Gary Michael Tartakov
2. The Hindu Temple as the Representation and Instrument of Caste in Traditional India , Gary Michael Tartakov
3. New Paths to Sanchi , Gary Michael Tartakov
4. The Politics of Popular Art: Maharashtra , Gary Michael Tartakov
5. Learning the Use of Symbolic Means: Dalits, Ambedkar Statues and the State in Uttar Pradesh , Nicolas Jaoul
6. The Navayana Creation of the Buddha Image , Gary Michael Tartakov
7. Navayana Buddhists on the Public Stage , Gary Michael Tartakov
8. Ambedkar Jayanti, Hierarchy and the Darshan Effect , Owen M. Lynch
9. Mithila Painting: The Dalit Intervention , David L. Szanton
10. Dalit Painting Seen from the Outside , Gary Michael Tartakov
11. The Dalit Iconography of an Expressionist Imagination , Saurabh Dube
12. Dalits, Art and the Imagery of Everyday Life , Gary Michael Tartakov
13. Sister Mysore Seeks the Canon , Gary Michael Tartakov