ACSAA symposia occur in alternating years, hosted by academic institutions and museums, and often in conjunction with major exhibitions. They serve as opportunities to meet colleagues, re-connect with mentors and graduate school cohorts, and share one’s current research with the field. Symposia are one of the primary ways ACSAA members gather and support one another; we encourage you to attend, present papers, and participate fully in the ACSAA community.
The American Council for Southern Asian Art will hold its nineteenth biennial meeting in Edinburgh, Scotland, UK at the Edinburgh College of Art, University of Edinburgh from November 7-9, 2019.
Please take note of the following dates:
March 8, 2019: Deadline for Panel Proposals
March 25, 2019: Selected panels announced to the membership. Call for individual papers or for a panel issued.
April 26, 2019: All paper proposals due.
May 13, 2019: All participants notified.
May 20, 2019: Final programme announced.
- We invite proposals for panels that are either pre-formed or open, including experimental panel formats (e.g. PechaKucha style presentations) that reflect original and/or new research into the art, intellectual and material culture of South and Southeast Asia and Himalayan regions. All members are welcome to propose ideas for new panels or panel formats, even if
they presented a paper at ACSAA XVIII.
- We encourage submissions of panels or papers that explore the links between Scots and South Asia. We also encourage panels on historiographical issues in art and its history from pre-history to the present, museum practice, empire, early modern art and also those that look at visual, religious and built culture including photography, film and new media. We also invite topics exploring the artistic legacy of the Tagore family and their circle.
- All presenters and panel chairs must be ACSAA members in good standing.
- Panel proposals should be in the format of a 250-word abstract explaining the panel concept.
- Pre-formed panel proposals should also include a 250-abstract of each paper, along with a one-page CV for the panel chair and each presenter.
- It is requested that all proposals strictly adhere to the word limit.
- Subject heading of emails sent should clearly mention: ACSAA2019_[Abbreviated Panel/Paper Title]_[LastNameofSender]
We encourage members and doctoral students at any stage of their academic study to participate in this call. We will also be looking to incorporate short 15-min poster-styled presentations to introduce topics of ongoing research.
SUBMIT PROPOSALS AND ALL ENQUIRIES TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to register for the 2019 ACSAA Symposium in Edinburgh, Scotland, UK